1. Holy cow. Someone might have found the bones of John the Baptist! I really can’t do that story any justice here – just go read it!
2. Leanne at Provoking Beauty has a great series on the Prayer of St. Francis, and she gave me the honor of contributing! Several different writers have reflected on each line of the prayer, and mine – “it is in pardoning that we are pardoned” – will be up today. Every post in the series is good food for thought; I highly encourage all of you to get caught up on them before you read mine.
3. This should give you some idea of how my mind works: At work last Friday, a few of my friends were discussing happy hour plans for that evening. I hadn’t been invited. At first I was miffed and wondered why they didn’t invite me, and then I remembered: I was working the evening shift. Even if they had invited me I wouldn’t have gotten out in time to do anything. Duh.
4. I just finished Tomatoland by Barry Eastabrook. If you didn’t already hate supermarket tomatoes, you will after you read this. Modern-day slavery, pesticides that cause horrific damage to both field workers and the environment, and all for some pretty lousy fruits. But the book ends on a hopeful note: tomato pickers banded together, took on the growers, and have made some progress in working conditions. Head over to Mother Earth News to read an excerpt.
5. Speaking of tomatoes, I have my first tomatoes of the season! I am officially in heaven.
6. On a lighter note, I just discovered a hilarious new blog: Not Always Working. Not Always Working is a collection of reader-submitted funny/stupid employee and boss stories. It’s a companion to Not Always Right, a collection of reader-submittedcustomer stories. What are some funny blogs you read?
7. TGIF! Time for a song! This Friday’s song is “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.