1. Over the last few months, a coworker has been repeatedly asking me when DH and I are having kids. All the other young married couples just had a baby, and he’s wondering when we, the last domino, will fall. I’ve been brushing him off, but here’s what I’d really like to say to him:
“You know, [name] we’ve been spending so much time discussing the biggest disappointment of my life. It’s really not fair for me to keep hogging the spotlight! For a change, how about I ask you a nosy question about the biggest disappointment in your life?”
2. No, I’m not actually going to say that. I’m not sure what the boss would do if I went off on a coworker like that, but it probably wouldn’t be pretty.
3. Anyway, on to some good news: ripe tomatoes are just around the corner! My plants have had fruit for what seems like months (it’s probably more like one month) and now, finally, some of it is starting to turn red. There has to be something good about these long hot summers…
4. And you would think I’d be used to long, hot summers by now, having lived with them for…. oh yeah, my entire life. You’d be wrong. Every day I’m off work in the summer, I tell myself that I’ll be spending a lot of time outside, work in the garden, go swimming, finally get a tan… and I always retreat to the air conditioning by noon. I am a wuss.
5. I may have gone overboard in planting Swiss Chard. And by that, I mean we have all of 4 plants. (Hey, there are only two of us!) Turns out, DH doesn’t care for the stems. Ooops. Maybe I should plant more spinach next year.
6. I learned something new about growing tomatoes this week: the definition of catfacing. Several of my Cherokee Purple tomatoes have big scars at the blossom end, but so far as I could tell, it wasn’t insect damage. At first I thought it was something peculiar to the Cherokee Purple variety (never grown it before, and none of my other tomatoes have this) but after some consultation with Master Gardener Google, I figured out it was catfacing. Is there anything Google doesn’t know?
7. It wouldn’t be Friday without a song! This Friday’s song is “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5. I liked this video so much I had to embed it. :)