1. We’re halfway through Lent! So how have I fared? Read on. [Full disclosure: haven't been to Confession yet, really need to go, and really proud of the bishop of my diocese for his radio ads reminding people to go.]
2. Yes, I’m still praying for my Lenten Prayer Buddy! Every day I say a Memorare for her and her intentions; hopefully it’s helping! Why a Memorare? Well, on my buddy has intentions that Our Lady could probably relate to. Also, the Memorare is a traditional Catholic prayer that I never learned as a kid (despite attending Catholic school K-12); I made an effort to learn it and the St. Michael the Archangel prayer as an adult and say both every chance I get.
3. And on the subject of prayer: I’m still working that St. Monica novena for DH... After [mumble] years of marriage and [cough] years since I started taking Catholicism seriously, it finally occurred to me to do this. Yes, I am a bit slow. Why do you ask?
4. What have I done for almsgiving? I’ve donated to the charities mentioned on the blog, of course. And I’ve been a little more open with the multitude of begging letters that come to my mailbox. After all, it’s not as if I’m robbing anybody’s college fund to give to, say, Nothing But Nets. And in the spirit of Christian charity, I probably should stop referring to letters from charities as “begging letters.”
5. So, we gave up beer for Lent. Think me an alcoholic if you will, but it’s been much, much harder than I expected! Some days it seems like every commercial is a beer commercial. I’m just grateful that I have to work on St. Patrick’s Day weekend, and thus won’t be tempted to race to the nearest liquor store for a pint of Guinness.
6. Still need some help in observing Lent? Check out For Lent: Redefine True Womanhood at altcatholicah.com!
7. It’s Friday, so it’s time for a hymn! I’ve been tired this week and when I can’t sleep, it’s usually because I’m worried about something. This helps me relax: The Litany of the Saints.