1. You know what I don’t get? People who call their pets their “children with fur.” Don’t get me wrong, I have pets, I love them, and DH and I probably spoil them rotten. They’re a part of the family, but they’re not our children. We don’t have any children, and if we did, they wouldn’t have fur. (If your actual children have fur, I humbly suggest you take them to the doctor.)
2. I listened to The Pina Colada Song the other day and it occurred to me: today’s kids are not going to understand that song! Think about it: all their music will be on MP3s, which never wear out, they’ll probably never read a newspaper and mail in a personal ad??? Forget it.
3. I left something out of Tuesday’s post about responses to “when are you having kids” – responses to “You’re next!” You know, that comment people make when a lot of women in the crowd are pregnant and they’re just so sure that it’ll be your turn soon. Most of them have no way of knowing that it will never, ever be your turn; they’re just trying to cheer you up. I suppose this deserves its own post, since it’s a comment born out of genuine concern rather than nosiness.
4. It’s a little early, but has anyone thought about what they’re giving up for Lent? I often think of a great idea for something to give up in July, and then by the time Ash Wednesday rolls around, I’ve forgotten it entirely.
5. Lent usually winds up being an EPIC FAIL for me, probably because my expectations are too high. I somehow think that while I’m a wrathful, gluttonous sloth the rest of the year, during Lent I can suddenly become patient, temperate, and diligent. Yeah… not so much. As I’ve reminded myself before, saintliness is a project we undertake every day, not just when we feel like it (although Lent is a good time to start).
6. The unusually warm weather where I live has made me antsy for spring. I keep thinking I need to get my seeds ordered and start planting, and then I remember that for the next six weeks or so, there’s a good possibility of a freeze, so it’s too soon to do anything outside. (I never start seeds indoors because my cats would eat them.)
7. Finally, how about a song to start off your weekend? I give you “The Music Sound Better With You” by Stardust.